Where Can I Get
Desiccated Thyroid Hormone?
Thyroid UK is frequently contacted by patients who do not realise that the problem with availability of desiccated thyroid hormone has much abated. 'Armour' Thyroid, manufactured by Forest Pharmaceuticals, 'Nature-Throid' and 'Westhroid', both manufactured by RLC Labs, and 'Thyroid' manufactured by Erfa Canada Inc. are all now readily available.
However, if you do find that your normal pharmacy cannot obtain your particular brand of desiccated thyroid hormone, it might be a good idea to try another pharmacy.
- Tollesbury Pharmacy is a UK based registered pharmacy dispensing NHS and private prescriptions including brands of natural thyroid hormone. They have dealt with natural thyroid hormone brands such as Armour and Erfa for over 10 years and have wide experience in sourcing these products from reputable wholesalers within the UK. They comply with GPhC standards and are members of the NPA and RPSGB. They are also wholesalers and are registered with MHRA.
They may not need a letter of clinical need but check with them first. They send the medicine back to the patient by Royal Mail Registered Post or via a secure courier, which means that all medication can be tracked and has to be signed for to ensure the safety of the medication and safe and accurate receipt to the patient, to comply with their audit procedures. There is no charge for postage and packing.
For more information contact them on:
Tel: 01621 860511; Fax: 01621 869557; Email: email@example.com Website: www.tollesburypharmacy.com
Prescriptions can be sent to: Mychem Ltd, Tollesbury Pharmacy, 12A East Street, Tollesbury, Maldon, Essex CM9 8QD
- UL Medicines have informed us that "We are now working directly with Forest and can get 0.5 grain, 1 grain and 2 grain dosages". They also tell us that there is no need for a clinical need letter, but to satisfy the MHRA the prescriber must have it documented that it is being prescribed for hypothyroidism, such as in the patient's notes or better still by putting "for hypothyroidism" on the prescription. The dispensing pharmacist might require the prescription to be written as "armour thyroid" or "desiccated thyroid" but they will advise what they need. They also stock the other brands of desiccated thyroid hormone.
UL Medicines cannot dispense direct to the public. Your pharmacist can contact them at UL Medicines Ltd, Hampton House, 3d Regal Way, Watford, Hertfordshire WD24 4YJ 01923 204333.
- We have been informed by North Meols Pharmacy Ltd, (www.chemist-4-u.com) that they have Armour Thyroid, Westhroid and NatureThroid available in various strengths. All you need to do is to send your prescription to them either at their address:
North Meols Pharmacy, 35a Greenhey Place, East Gillibrands, Skelmersdale WN8 9SA
or you can download and print a freepost label from
www.chemist-4-u.com/greenhey.pdf and they will send the order back to you.
They say they have a 48 hour turnaround. They also stock the other brands of thyroid hormone replacement. There is no need for a letter from your doctor and all your doctor needs to write on the prescription is the name of the medicine, the dosage and the number of tablets. If you have any queries contact them on 01695 725994 and ask for Shamir Patel.
- Springfield Pharmacy (124 Sheen Road, Richmond upon Thames, Surrey, TW9 1UR Tel: 0208 2558096) tell us that they now have Armour in stock.
'Thyroid' by Erfa seems to be much easier to get hold of. Erfa tell us that Springfield Pharmacy is also one of their listed UK suppliers.
- Pharmarama (7 Capital Business Park, Manor Way, Borehamwood WD6 1GW) is a wholesaler and they also have an in-house pharmacy. They have 'Armour Thyroid', Erfa's 'Thyroid' and 'Nature-Throid' in stock. Once you have a prescription, your pharmacist can contact them to place an order. Alternatively, if you have a private prescription, you can contact them directly. Pharmarama can dispense your medication and guarantee a next day delivery if the prescription and the payment is received by 3pm. A clinical need letter is not required and all your doctor needs to write on the prescription is the name of the medicine, the dosage and the number of tablets. If you have any queries contact their pharmacists on 0208 2386770.
Their supplier is still able to supply Pharmarama with all strengths of Armour Thyroid. The manufacturer (Forest Pharmaceuticals) themselves will not export into the UK but US suppliers that buy from them are still selling them in the EU and shipping them.
- HealthXchange Pharmacy have compounded thyroid porcine capsules. They routinely stock the standard strengths (15mg - 1/4 grain, 30mg - 1/2 grain, 60mg - 1 grain and 120mg 2 grain) but can order any other strength with a lead time of two weeks. However, HealthXchange only deal with private prescriptions (not NHS prescriptions).
All orders are subject to import VAT at 17.5% and are dispatched by Royal Mail special delivery which ensures 99% next day delivery and postal tracking. However, they can send by 'normal' mail if preferred.
For more information, you can contact them at:
HealthXchange Pharmacy, Albert House, South Esplanade, St Peter Port, Guernsey GY1 1AJ Tel: 01481 736 736 or E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
NB. Because there are some variations in dose and potency between the brands (see table below), changing brand may mean that you need a small adjustment from your previous dose of Armour Thyroid. You and your GP should work together to establish the dose of the new medication that works for you.
Comparison table showing the variations in equivalent
tablet size and / or active ingredients of each of the brands
If you are usually prescribed Armour Thyroid by your GP, you should be aware that if you change to Nature-Throid or Westhroid your prescription must state the tablets as 65mg and not 60mg. If this is not correct on your prescription, your pharmacist will not dispense the medicine.
If your GP changes your prescription, he may also need to write another letter stating that the medicine is for hypothyroidism. Some doctors are now putting “natural desiccated thyroid” on the prescription, which may enable you to obtain any of the brands without keep having to get a letter from your GP.
Your pharmacist can try the following wholesalers for supplies of any of the above brands:
Idis World Medicines, IDIS House, Churchfield Road, Weybridge KT13 8DB
Tel: 01932 824100 Fax: 01932-824200
Pharmarama International Ltd., Unit 7 Capital Business Park, Manor Way, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire WD6 1GW Tel: 020 8238 6770 Fax: 020 8238 6786
Mawdsleys Unlicenced Medicines, Unit 4 Crompton Road Business Park, Crompton Road, Doncaster, DN2 4PW
Tel: 01302 553000
(Your doctor needs to to put “For Hypothyroidism” on the prescription)
UL Medicines Ltd, Hampton House, 3d Regal Way, Watford, Hertfordshire WD24 4YJ
Tel: 01923 204333
The Specials Laboratory, Unit 1, Regents Drive, Low Prudhoe Industrial Estate, Northumberland NE42 6PX
Tel: 0800 028 4925
(Letter of clinical need required to say the patient has hypothyroidism)
Last updated 15/02/2013